Blue Growth – The Nordic Road to a Sustainable Blue Economy
Managing director of SUBMARINER Network, Angela Schultz-Zehden presented the status and perspectives of the blue (bio) economy during the workshop “Blue Growth – The Nordic Road to a Sustainable Blue Economy” in the Nordic Embassies in Berlin.
The workshop took place on 18.10.2019 in Berlin in Felleshus of the Nordic embassies. SUBMARINER Network was co-organizer of the event together with the Nordic Council of Ministries. Experts from the Nordic countries and from Germany gave an outlook and cross-border view, and inspirational projects illustrating the mindset and value for the whole society, far beyond the coastal regions.
Angela (SUBMARINER Network) explained the strategic approach of SUBMARINER Network in pursuing blue growth and implementation of actions in order to promote sustainable and innovative uses of marine resources. She also pointed out further actions that need to be implemented in the near future as:
- overcoming of regulatory barriers (clarification and alignment of regulatory framework)
- technology & knowledge (demonstration plants, accessible infrastructure for scaling up)
- development and transfer (Pan-Baltic mapping of blue bioeconomy actors’ data and information needs)
- awareness raising and marketing (fostering public understanding and local ownership)
- ensure continuous, on-going support services (matchmaking between projects & actors)
The Nordic countries are pioneers in the development of a sustainable blue economy, and in Germany several initiatives are on the way. The participants discussed opportunities and challenges for blue growth, what we can learn from each other, and how we see a better future of our oceans and seas.
@pictures copyright: Icelandic embassy of Berlin