The Natural History Museum of Eduardo Mondlane University (MHN - UEM) is a National Zoological Museum that was created in 1913. But research has initiated in 1947 when the first naturalist was contracted. In 1949 it as integrated in the Scientific Research Institute of Mozambique (IICM), an institution that existed until 1975. When the IICM was extinct in 1976, the Natural History Museum was integrated in the Eduardo Mondlane University (UEM), that was created in 1962 as Estudos UniversitariosGerais de Moçambique and later become the University of Lourenço Marque (ULM) and named in 1975 as University of Maputo and then Eduardo Mondlane University .
The Natural History Museum holds and maintains collections of birds, mammals, insects, fishes and terrestrial and marine invertebrates. Recently (since 2015) the Museum has also molecular biology and biobank of native fauna species. The Museum has also a database room since 2018. The Museum has also display rooms with Birds, Mammals, Fishes, Reptiles, Invertebrates, Insects and carries out education and awareness with University Students, High Schools, Primary Schools and Kinder gardens and has display rooms opened to the public.
The Museum is housed in a building which was built in 1933, which a special architecture ( Portuguese NeoManuelin). The building has been classified by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture of Mozambique as a National Monument. It has workshops, a library and an amphitheater It has also a garden in which some cretaceous dinosaurs are exhibited as well as representative plant species of Mozambique Flora.
In addition, the Museum carries out ecological research in marine, freshwater and terrestrial fauna and ecosystems in Mozambique.. The Museum carries out research on marine mammal conservation, terrestrial mammals conservation (buffalos, lions, wild dogs) and planning, marine and freshwater fish taxonomy and phylogeny, invertebrate biology with emphasis on marine crustaceans linked with fisheries.
The Museum is led by a Director and has a Deputy Director for Research Affair. It has two departments: Museology (which deals with exhibition and interpretation of displays) and Natural Sciences ( which carries out research) and one repartition of Administration and finances. The total number of staff members is 49 , of which 10 are allocated to the research. Of these 3 are lecturers ( 2 senior and one junior lecturer), 2 researchers ( one senior and one junior). The remaining 6 staff members are research assistants who maintain the collection. The lecturers apart from research, also lecture at the Department of Biological Sciences of Faculty of Science
The Museum also has taxidermists (4 staff members) who maintain the animals exhibited at its premises.