Russian case: Vistula lagoon

Russian case: South-Eastern Baltic & Gulf of Finland

ABIORAS is exploring underwater and on-land maritime cultural heritage in Russian sector of the South-Eastern Baltic and in Russian sector of the Gulf of Finland.

South-Eastern Baltic 

Open access data,
Data processing and analysis: Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences (Atlantic Branch), Museum of the World Ocean, V. Malysh

Database of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences,

BalticRIM Data Portal https://balticrimdataportal.eu/

Site description

A total of 274 MCH objects in the South-Eastern Baltic have been added to the database. A total of 252 objects have been described during the project implementation. 

Three pilot areas have been chosen in the South-Eastern Baltic. There are wrecks and on-land MCH objects in these areas.

The pilot areas identified at the beginning of the project today seem to be irrelevant, since during the implementation of the project all existing information about the sites has been obtained and it was revealed that a significant part of them did not represent cultural heritage. When interacting with divers and other organizations, additional objects were identified, both underwater and on-land. For example, part of the underwater objects is a pile of metal, while some well-preserved and identified objects were not included into the pilot cases. In this regard, it was decided to distinguish the pilot subareas in which underwater and on-land objects of marine cultural heritage are combined as efficiently as possible for marine spatial planning.

The subareas within and outside the pilot water areas were identified as the most promising in terms of including marine cultural heritage in spatial planning. The main criterion for the allocation of subareas was the number of MCH objects, their availability and prospects for inclusion in tourist routes. Particular attention was paid to facilities, primarily requiring conservation and protection.

 

2a_pic_South-Eastern_Baltic.jpg

 

Pilot area 1. West of the Sambia Peninsula

A total of 21 MCH objects:
HERITAGE LIGHTHOUSE (HL) – 2
HERITAGE WRECK (HW) – 18
HERITAGE OTHER COASTAL (HOC) – 1

Applied methods: some wrecks have been scanned by the side-scan sonar, inspected by divers.

The Subarea 1A has been distinguished. Some objects are outside the Pilot area 1.

Subarea 1A
Includes 14 MCH objects: 1 HL, 13 HW
The main facilities are dumped vessels such as Guard ship "Barsuk", Corvette ASW, Dredger Balkhash, Non-identified destroyer, Streamship Velox and others. Among the ground objects, the Taran lighthouse can be distinguished.

Submarine C-4 (The object was recognized as a military burial place), located at a depth of 72 m, as well as Wooden wreck Altwasser at a depth, are individual objects that are not included in the subareas and are located at a considerable distance from the coast, but worthy of attention. 53 m. Among the accessible, one can note the Unidentified wooden vessel with a metal frame near the central part of the Curonian Spit, at a depth of 2 m .

Pilot area 2 West of the Vistula Spit and eastern coast of the Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon

A total of 49 MCH objects:
HERITAGE LIGHTHOUSE (HL) – 1
HERITAGE ARCHITECTURE (HA) – 5
HERITAGE INFRASTRUCTURE (HI) – 3
HERITAGE-FORTIFICATION FORTS (HF) – 15
HERITAGE RELIGIOUS (HR) – 1
HERITAGE ARCHEOLOGICAL (HS) – 8
HERITAGE WRECK (HW) – 16

Many of the on-land objects are in ruined conditions, other need conservation measures. Among them are:
- Neolithic settlement sites
- Medieval coastal settlements
- Sea fortress remains
- Lighthouses
- Traditional fishery villages 19-20th century.

Applied methods: analysis of the previous archaeological surveys data, archival research, relevant literature, field surveys, some UCH objects have been inspected by divers.
Two subareas have been distinguished. Some objects are outside the Pilot area 2.

Subarea 2A
Includes 47 MCH objects: 12 HF, 2 HI, 1 HL, 1HR, 4 HA, 1 HS, 26 HW
The main subarea. In the center of the subarea, there is the Baltic Strait. The subarea includes the northern part of the Vistula Spit, the city of Baltiysk and the shallow sea. In the subarea, the objects of various categories of MCH are concentrated: UCH:
Ammunition barge (cargo ship “Jersbek”), Icebreaker “Pollux”, Wreck “Wooden”, Unidentified ship “Schit”, Artillerieschulboot “Drache”, Torpedo boat, etc.
On-land MCH:
Air Force objects (e.g. Hydro-harbor and Complex of constructions of the Neutief airdrome), numerous fortifications (e.g. Pillau fortification complex), port infrastructure facilities (e.g., complex of structures of the Kaliningrad shipping channel), as well as lighthouses, architectural monuments, memorials.

This makes the subarea the most attractive for tourism development, as it is suitable for both land tourism and divers. All underwater objects do not have any legal status, while many terrestrial objects are recognized as Cultural heritage objects of regional and local (municipal) significance. Some of the ground objects (for example, Complex of constructions of the Neutief airdrome) are now in the process of assigning them the status of a cultural object. Among the underwater objects there are many unidentified, however, the identified vessels are of interest, since they are at a shallow depth and are accessible for divers. That is why in Baltiysk or on the Baltic (Vistula) Spit, the creation of a center for studying MCH is relevant.
In addition, this subarea is the most promising for the detection of new objects. When including subarea 2A in marine spatial planning, it is necessary to take into account that economic activity is extremely developed in this area - shipping (sea channel, raid parking, port, and main shipping lane), temporarily closed military training zones and the location of existing facilities of the Ministry of Defense, recreation. But despite the high level of conflict, this zone is the most promising for the study and conservation of MCH objects.

Subarea 2B
Includes 10 MCH objects: 2 HF, 8 H
Includes only on-land objects, most of which are archaeological sites – Culture settlements of cord ceramics, the time of creation of I millennium BC Located in the immediate vicinity of the lagoon. Residents engaged in fishing. In addition, the ruins of Brandenburg Castle and Balga Castle are in the subarea.

Pilot area 3 Kaliningrad and Pregolya and Deima Rivers, Kaliningrad (Visula) Lagoon

A total of 29 MCH objects:
HERITAGE WRECK (HW) – 13
HERITAGE ARCHITECTURE (HA) – 5
HERITAGE INFRASTRUCTURE (HI) – 8
HERITAGE-FORTIFICATION FORTS (HF) – 1
HERITAGE VESSELS (HV) – 2

Many of the on-land objects are in ruined conditions, others need conservation measures.
Applied methods: analysis of the previous archaeological surveys data, archival research, relevant literature, field surveys including multi beam echo-sounder and side scan survey, some UCH objects have been inspected by divers.
Additionally, field studies of the rivers Pregolya and Deima, as well as Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon have been carried out during the period of June-November 2019.
As a result, out of the Pilot area 3 a total of 169 objects have been found:
Pregolya River – 101 objects,
Deima River – 51 objects,
Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon – 1 objects.
A total of 105 objects have been surveyed by divers in the Pregolya River and in the Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon. Only one can be of value to MCH. Others are needed to be investigated additionally. On the Deima River, the objects were not yet examined by divers, but it can be assumed that the situation with the objects will be similar to the Pregolya River. According to the results of sonar survey of the bottom of the Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon and the Kaliningrad sea channel (some of them within the Pilot area 2), 1 new object which is potential for MCH has been revealed. The diving survey in the Kaliningrad (Vistula) Lagoon, has shown that most of the objects found on the geoacoustic profiles are not valuable from the point of view of MCH.

2b_pic_Vistula_lagoon.jpg

 

During the geoacoustical survey along the Pregolya and Deima Rivers, 152 objects have been found. Diving survey was conducted only on the Pregolya River at 89 points. Most of the objects were sunken boats up to 10-15 m long and up to 3-4 m wide and structural elements that were not of historical value. Also, most of the goals are due to the features of the relief and bottom sediments. Objects that have been identified as rubbish (car tires, boards, metal pins, pipes, buckets and troughs, livestock bones), logs, or bottom features were removed from the Panbaltic metadata object table but stored in the primary results table.
Among the targets surveyed by divers, a large wooden vessel, probably a sailing vessel, is about 11 m long, does not exceed 3 m in width. Due to the strong turbidity of the water, it was not possible to draw conclusions about the age, purpose and type of the vessel.

 

2c_pic_Rivers.jpg

 

Legal status/Presence the national register of cultural heritage:
UCH: None/Not registered in the official list of national cultural heritage.
210 objects without any legal status

On-land:
23 Without any legal status
9 Cultural heritage objects of federal significance,
16 Cultural heritage objects of regional significance,
9 Cultural heritage objects of local (municipal) significance
7 Revealed cultural heritage object
2 Specially protected natural areas (including 2 World Heritage Sites.

Planned activities:

  • Inventory of UCH objects in region (including economic zone), underwater landscapes promising in relation to archaeological sites and cultural maritime coastal landscapes
  • Field studies in the area including multi beam echo-sounder and side scan survey, diving- visual inspection
  • Database, including wrecks, underwater landscapes, promising in regard of UCH and on-land object of MCH, created
  • Delineation of the valuable area and comprehensive description of regional MCH assets
  • Description of the potential UCH site.

Expected results:

  • Reliable information on the location of the known and reported shipwrecks and another MCH will be introduced in Database
  • All the data about MCH objects in the Pilot areas described
  • Recommendation for including into regional/national Registers of CH.

Gulf of Finland

Open access data
Data processing and analysis: Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences (Atlantic Branch), Ermak NW, Museum of the World Ocean.

Database of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences

BalticRIM Data Portal https://balticrimdataportal.eu/

 Site description

A total of 178 in the Gulf of Finland and the coastal zone have been added into the database.
Only 19 objects have been described during the project implementation as the most interesting for the MSP.

1a_pic_Gulf_of_Finland.jpg1b_pic_Gulf_of_Finland.jpg

 

Based on the data on the UCH and in accordance with the selection criteria for the priority areas, the project tentatively accepted for consideration five promising pilot UCH areas. Subsequently, during the more detailed analysis, clarification of the location of the UCH objects, and their thematic focus, three pilot areas have been distinguished in the Vyborg Bay. Also Russian-Finnish Transboundary Case has been described.
Applied methods: Analysis of the multi beam echo-sounder and side scan survey, divers surveys, video/photo recording, underwater excavations, restoration of excavated artifacts, 3D-reconstruction (Lukoshkov, 2019).

Pilot area 1. Southern part of Vyborg Bay

Icnludes 10 HW
Pilot area 1 is the site of a major naval battle between the Russian and Swedish fleets in 1790 and, accordingly, the cemetery of dead ships. This battle for Russia is a page of the heroic history of the Russian fleet. For the Sweden - a place of courage and death of hundreds and thousands of Swedish sailors, the history of the Swedish military shipbuilding of the second half of the 18th century.

Description of the some objects
HU-HW-GF-10 Swedisch military yacht "Aurora", 1790
Beams, whales, deck decks, bulkheads, hull formwork and partial spacing around the ship within a radius of 20 meters. Most of the structural elements lie around the body. Two symmetrical carved details of the bow figure 1.3 m long were found in the bow. They are combined with each other and look like an inverted sheaf. On the left side there is a four-horned cat anchor, on the right side there is a windlass and fragments of the mast. The vessel in its central part was found in two parts. Items found near feed. In the fore part of the ship's hull, brick ship's galley furnaces have been preserved. It has dimensions - 0.82 x 0.58 m. In plan and 0.42 m. Rises above the ground. A large copper boiler with a diameter of 82 cm. A wooden pipe 2.5 m high has been preserved in an upright position. Yachts, lead spiers, boxes, lead bullets, bottles, glass and ceramic dishes.

 HU-HW-GF-11 Swedisch 44 (40)-cannon frigate of the line "Zemire"
The project of the frigate was developed by the outstanding Swedish shipbuilder F.Kh. Chapman in 1781 as part of the “Great Shipbuilding Program” to re-equip the Swedish fleet. It was built at the royal shipyard in Karlskrona. It was built together with the frigate "Tapperheten" for 51 days. The name was in honor of the heroine of the opera "Zemira and Azor". Characteristics: length between perpendiculars - 43 m; maximum width 11, 9 m; draft - 5.2 m; displacement - 1360 tons. He was armed with cannons of calibers of 24 pounds (155 mm) in the amount of 26-28 pieces and 6 pounds in the amount of 14-16 pieces. Crew 340-360 lower ranks and 7 officers. It took an active part in the battles of 1788-1790. He caught fire in the Battle of Vyborg on June 23, 1790, unable to cope with the Krestovy lighthouse bypassing, approaching the burning Postilon brander, during which the rowing boats sent from the Russian ships were sent to the coast of the modern Oritsaari island, where it sank. It was discovered and examined by specialists of the NCLI and the Center of Information Technologies of the Russian Geographical Society during several expeditions to study the battle. The detachments represent the bottom part of the hull of a linear frigate, which has been sunk into the ground, whose sides have survived to the level of the lower deck.

HU-HW-GF-45 Swedish 64(62)-cannon ship of the line "Hedvig-Elisabeth-Charlotta" 1790

The ship project was developed by the outstanding Swedish shipbuilder F. H. Chapman in 1776, as a modernized version of the ship of the type "Prince Frederick Albert", and was named after the wife of the king’s brother / commander of the Swedish fleet Karl Södermanland. It was laid down on March 1, 1777, and launched in 1781. Characteristics: The length between the perpendiculars is 50.2 m; maximum width - 13.8 m; draft - 5.8 m; displacement - 2200 tons. Armament: guns 24 pounds (155 mm) - 24 pieces; 18 lb. (142 mm) guns - 26 pieces; 6 lb. (98 mm) caliber guns - 14 (12) units. The crew - 600 people of the lower ranks and 10 officers. The ship participated in all the battles of the war of 1788-1790. In the battle of Vyborg on May 23, 1790, during the breakthrough of the Russian ships, he was knocked out of the steering wheel and tiller, because of which there was a loss of control, during which he flew to the top of the Repia bank and broke through the bottom. The team was captured by the commander of the Russian prize party, Peter von der Flat. After that, the ship sank, and in August people were sent to get trophies. It was discovered and partially investigated by the specialists of the NCLI and the Center of Information Technologies of the Russian Geographical Society during the expedition to study and reconstruct the battle. The remains are part of the body, which has lost the integrity of the bond. All the structural details of the hull were separated from each other, fell and today represent a complex combination of the lower part, covered on top of the settled decks, which are chaotic filled up from above and from the sides with wooden fragments. The length of the spread along the keel is 60 m.

HU-HW-GF-47 Swedish 66(72)-cannon ship of the line "Enigheten", 1790
It was built at the Royal Shipyard in Karlskrona in 1732 (1746) by the project of the famous Swedish shipbuilder Englishman Gilbert Sheldon. Drawings are not preserved. Characteristics: length between perpendiculars - 49.3 m; maximum width - 13.1 m; draft - 5.9 m; light displacement - 1900 tons. Armament: cannon caliber 24 pounds (155 mm) - 26 (28) pieces; guns of 12 pounds (124 mm) - 26 pieces; 6 lb. (98 mm) caliber guns - 14 (18) units. Crew - 600 lower ranks and 10 officers. Enigheten took part in the Seven Years War, operations to protect trade routes (“Armed Neutrality”) and the war with Russia, 1788–1790, where he died when confronted by Zemire on 23 June 1790 during the Vyborg battle. The remains are several separate blocks lying at a distance from each other, some of which are well preserved. The space around large clusters of ship structures is filled with a multitude of small fragments washed up in the ground. Artifacts were also found.

 HU-HW-GF-58 Ertrus, galley. Sweden, 1790
At a depth of 15 meters from June 1790 lies the Swedish galley, which fell not at all from the onslaught or from a stray shell, but because of ordinary sluggishness. The fact is that Paasluoto Bank became the site of the Vyborg naval battle - one of the largest battles in the history of the Russian-Swedish war. In the early morning of June 22, the crew of the rowing ship evaded the shells flying in their direction and decided to go along the route laid by the commander of the 74-gun battleship Lovisa Ulrika. However, "blind faith" adversely affected the fate of the galley: during the maneuver, the Swedish Ertrus hit a stone ridge, and more was not required to flood the ship. Not a few ships fell in this battle, including Lovisa Ulrika sank here. Knowing the place of the battle, the wreckage of the battleship on the sea days was quickly found, but the galley was discovered quite accidentally in 2003: while examining Paasluoto's can north of the Lovisa Ulrika case, a comb of several frames resembling the remains of a huge fish was seen on the screen. Length 31 m. Width 9.5 m.

HU-HW-GF-59 Dragon, 22-gun brig cotter. Sweden, 1790
During the Vyborg naval battle on June 22, 1790, all shallows and banks (i.e. navigational hazards) were fenced with milestones (including Repiya Bank) - this is a pine pole 30 meters, with an anchor rope with an anchor - cargo and a flag on the top and neither the Swedes nor our sailors touched them. The only thing, Rear Admiral Khanykov, who stood south of Rear Admiral Povalishin’s detachment with three frigates, blocking the channel line from the mainland to Paasluoto’s bank, sent the navigator to take a milestone at the northern end of Paasluoto’s bank and, as a result, crashed and went down: 22-gun brig - Dragon cotter. The anchor and fragments of the hull and mast of the ship were lifted from it. Length 29  m. Width 9 m.

HU-HW-GF-61 44-gun frigate "Uppland" Sweden, 1790
Two ships of the Swedish High Sea Fleet were killed on the Paasluoto Bank during the Vyborg naval battle: the 74-gun battleship Lovisa Ulrika with a displacement of 3,000 tons and the 44-gun frigate Uppland with a displacement of 1,450 tons. A comparison of the dimensional data of these ships shows that the well-preserved power hull of the battleship Lovisa Ulrika, found by the Memory of the Baltic expedition in 1996, is significantly larger than the power hull of the ship under study. But the main thing in identifying the found ship was the data of the Swedish directory "Svenska-ryska ekspedition AURORA". We read in translation: “Uppland ran aground as a result of a fire and an explosion of ammunition, and the yacht Lovisa Ulrika hit the stern. Length 26 m, width 6 m.

Pilot area 2. The northern part of Vyborg Bay

Icnludes 6 HW
There are the remains of wooden vessels of the 19th century (with the exception of the object of the armored boat WMO-506, which is not yet the object of the UCH). They are of interest both in terms of the development of shipbuilding, and as tourist sites.
Description of the some objects

HU-HW-GF-27 Russian sailing-screw wooden clipper "Jigit", 1869
The wooden hull of the three-masted sailing-screw ship sheathed in copper sheets. The hull is fully preserved, has damage in the deck due to the extraction of the steam propulsion system and holes from the cores in the sides. Length 52 m, width 8.5 m, height above bottom 3-3.5 m. Flooded by artillery fire on July 2, 1969. It is unique in terms of safety of the first Russian sailing-screw ocean ships.

HU-HW-GF-28 Russian sailing-screw wooden clipper "Naezdnik", 1869
Clipper body stands on a silty bottom at a depth of 14 m on an even keel. A detailed examination revealed a strong destruction of the stern and a partially dismantled deck in the stoker area. Findings on the stern of the machine parts indicate that it was dismantled together with the boilers before the ship was flooded. Nevertheless, the copper hull and the remains of the stern cabin are well preserved.

HU-HW-GF-31 Lightship "London", 1873
Partially destroyed in the central part of the left side of the wooden case without masts. Bow and stern parts without damage. Length 20 m, width 7 m, height above bottom 3,5 m. The London Lighthouse was exposed at the northern end of the Gulf of London, indicating dangerous depths to the south of the fairway. Had one mast, on which were raised three lanterns arranged in a triangle and burning with white light. Operated from May 17 to November 2. The wooden case was built in 1860. Flooded on August 13, 1873.

Pilot area 3, the central part of Vyborg Bay

Icnludes 3 HW
Objects are the remains of metal vessels made in Russia from the late 19th century. They are of interest for inspection at the location both by specialists from the point of view of history and domestic shipbuilding, as well as by a wide range of tourists - divers and with the help of underwater vehicles.

 Description of the some objects

HU-HW-GF-13 The hull of streamship "Hipatia", 1898
Riveted metal case of a screw cargo ship without superstructures. The case retains its integrity. The length is 97 m, the width is 11 m, the height above the bottom is 7-10 m. The hull stands at the bottom with the nose on the hull about 222 0 on an even keel with a trim and a nom. The bow is buried in sediments, and the stern - rises above the surface. The tail fin rises to 2.5 m. The propeller and steering wheel are in place. The submerged cargo ship Hypatia was raised by Neptune in 1897 specifically for use as a ground anchor in the project to turn and lift the squadron battleship Gangut. A superstructure was cut from it and a steam engine was removed, the boilers, the steering wheel, the screw and the steering mechanism, the windlass with anchor chains and anchors were left.

HU-HW-GF-36 Russian ironclad "Gangut", 1897
Steam artillery warship with a riveted metal hull. Length 95 m, width 19 m, height above the bottom 11 m. Drowned 07.07.1897. As a result of a navigational accident during a training firing on an external Transzund raid. Fully preserved with slight losses as a result of attempts to climb. Unique in the wealth of the collection. Ideal for a daily tour in the winter with ice, and in the summer with a boat.

HU-HW-GF-37 The mast of ironclad "Gangut", 1898
It was laid on 10.29.1888 in the shipyards of the New Admiralty in St. Petersburg. June 8, 1897 squadron battleship "Gangut" conducted training firing near Vyborg. On board were 582 people. - crew, squadron headquarters, students of the Technical School, students of the Petersburg nautical class, pilot and navigator students, the squadron's musician team. Passing by the islet of Rondo, NW Lighthouse Zapravsky, the ship hit a submerged rock (now the Gangut bank) and got a double bottom hole. Attempts to save the battleship failed. 4 hours after the accident by the approaching ships, the evacuation of those aboard began. Victims and injuries were not. Seven hours after the accident, the battleship, standing in two cables from a 9-meter can, sank at a depth of 29 meters.

Russian-Finnish Transboundary Case

A transboundary RU-FI case cooperation has been formed. In cooperation with the Finnish partners, the thematic focus, time frame have been agreed. The name of the case has been determined as “Granite development in the Vyborg province and the supply of building material to St. Petersburg by water way” (“Stone Way”) and the spatial coverage of the transboundary case from Kotka to Bolshaya Izhora was fundamentally indicated. The Russian transboundary part of the case is enabled the Bierkezund strait, the Vyborg and the Gulf of Finland at a traffic route of the cargo ships with stones from Primorsk to London shallow, where the remains of sunken ships with a load of granite stones are located.
Additional data was collected on quarries in the Vyborg region of the Leningrad Oblast. A field study of historical places of extraction of granite stone was carried out, a scientific report  was drawn up on the mining industry of the Vyborg province in the 18-19 centuries and delivery of granites and products from them to St. Petersburg.
Accordingly, the spatial coverage of the transboundary case included quarries of granite mining along the shores of Virolahti Bay (Finland), as well as along the shores and islands of the Vyborg Bay (Russia), a waterway for transporting stones from Virolahti to St. Petersburg and the remains of sunken ships with granite stones during the transitions to St. Petersburg.
MCH objects of the Russian side of the transboundary case includes both underwater objects (sunken ships loaded with stones – 6 HW) and coastal quarries (10 HQ).

Description of the some objects

HU-HW-GF-16 Finish schoot ( laiva ) with a cargo of stone 1855
The bottom of a traditional Finnish peasant wooden one-mast sailing vessel, covered with a load of granite stones of 20-35 cm in size. Presumably sank on 07/20/1855 during one of the British fleet's operations to destroy peaceful Russian coastal ships. Only the bottom of the liby and cargo have survived. Length 20 m, width 5 m, height above the bottom 1.5-1.9 m.

HU-HW-GF-33 Russian (Finnish) schooner with a cargo of stone, 1889
Сompletely destroyed hull of a wooden sailing vessel, covered with granite boulders, with a large number of fragments on the ground. Length 18 m, width 5 m, height above the bottom 3-3,5 m. Neither mast nor spar not detected. Probably died in a storm due to the displacement of cargo during the excitement.

HU-HW-GF-41 Sailing two-masted cargo vessel for transportation of granite cargoes. After 1760
The name, type, nationality, time and circumstances of death are unknown. The vessel was obviously built on a special project and was intended specifically for the transport of granite blocks. The lack of anchors in the bow and in the stern suggests that the ship sank in a storm when trying to hide in the strait, but was torn down from the anchors. Characteristics: the maximum length is 26-27 m, and the maximum width is 7.5-7.6 m. The bow and stern are pointed. The ship was decked out. Found by experts from the NCLI and the Center The remains are a ruined building that contains hewn granite blocks. Found numerous artifacts.

HU-HW-GF-42 Towed barge for transportation of granite cargoes. After 1760
The name, type, nationality, time and circumstances of death are unknown. Characteristics: flat-bottomed hull 200 m long and 5-5.5 m wide. The remains are numerous wooden fragments on which 22 granite blocks are laid. Due to being in the surf zone, the hull was completely destroyed, but part of the bottom survived.

HU-HW-GF-60 Barge with columns for St. Isaac's Cathedral (pres.)
At low tide off the coast of the Vilaniemi Peninsula (in the vicinity of Baltiets Bay), you can plunge deeply into the trunks of two granite columns of the early 19th century - apparently cut down in the rocks of Sorvalinsaari (Gvardeisky Island) and transported to St. Petersburg

HC-HQ-GF-01 Site 1. Dalnaya Bay
On this site, ledges of workings were found that did not exceed 2 - 2.5 m in height. The mine has a zigzag relief and is open towards the bay. On the indent to the coast at 7-10 m - minor dumps. No large blocks were found nearby. Abundant lichens on the ledges may indicate a significant age of development. The height of the output of the rock may exceed visible, as the surface is covered with sand. Granite has a pink color. Traces of holes are located at a distance of about a meter.

HC-HQ-GF-02 Site 2. Dalnaya Bay
The height of the output of the rock is up to 3.5 m. The length of the development is up to 10 m. From one to three ledges can be traced along the entire length. The contour is complicated by protrusions and incisions. The mine faces the bay. The dump is not represented by large debris. Traces of holes are located at a distance of about 1 m from each other, on the front surface of the significant formation of lichens. The color of the stone is pink. 

HC-HQ-GF-03 Site 3. Dalnaya Bay
The height of the breed - up to 3 m. The length of the development - up to 15 m in length. In the main part - 1 ledge. The dump is abundantly represented by both insignificant fragments and massive chips. Lichens are not represented as abundantly as in the previous two sections; there are significantly more indentation marks from holes. The color of the stone is pink.

HC-HQ-GF-04 Site 4. Gruazniy Cape
The height of the workings is up to 2.5 m. The length is up to 15 m. It can be traced from 1 to 3 ledges. Traces of holes are not pronounced. The abundant growths of lichen may indicate a significant age of development. Dumps - at a distance of 1-3 m from the excavation are represented by acute-angled chips, at a greater distance - by rounded corners. The color of the stone is red.

HC-HQ-GF-05 Site 5. Baltiyets Bay
Discovered on the shore of Baltiets Bay. The height of the workings reaches 4.5 m. The relief is complicated, zigzag along the entire length. The width of the massif reaches 10 -12 m. Traces of holes are located indented about 90 cm from each other. The length of the massif is up to 30 m. On the inside, the excavation is represented by 1 ledge to the entire height. From the side facing the bay - up to three ledges. Lichens are marked on the surface, the color of the stone pink is red.

HC-HQ-GF-06 Site 6. Bichaya Golova Peninsula
Closed territory, refers to the lands of the Ministry of Defense. It was not possible to visit her.
Identified by local historian Nikitin V.V., confirmed by a map of the Vyborg Bay compiled by the hydrographic department of the Ministry of the Sea in 1844, indicating the location of the granite mining. Based on geological exploration maps of the end of the 19th century, it was in this section that granite outcrops were recorded, where instead of “rappakivi”, granite was marked, which indicates greater granite strength.

HC-HQ-GF-07 Site 7. Vihrevoy Island (hist. Tuppuransaari Is.)
The Vihrevoy Island, or Tuppuransaari, is recorded in documentary sources as one of the places of extraction of building stone for the construction of St. Isaac's and Kazan Cathedrals. 

HC-HQ-GF-08 Site 8. Tverdish Island (hist. Sorvali Is.). Military fortification in rock quarry
In the Baltiets Bay, there are two sunken columns and granite blocks, probably intended for the construction of St. Isaac's or Kazan Cathedral.

 HC-HQ-GF-09 Site 9. Tverdish Island (hist. Sorvali Is.). Quarry
A large production of a U-shaped configuration was found, with ledges up to 5 m high with frequent traces of holes located at a slight distance from each other. The stone is red, well preserved. Deforestation probably began in the 10-20th years. and, intermittently made until the middle of the XX century.

HC-HQ-GF-10 Site 10. Gvardeyskiy Island. Stone processing workshop
A L-shaped mine was discovered with a height of up to 6 m. A system of military fortifications of 1916 was built inside the mine. It is believed that the quarry appeared as a result of the construction of the Linnasaari defensive complex in 1916. 

Legal status:

On-land:
36 without any legal status
27 Cultural heritage objects of federal significance (including 19 World Heritage Site)
4 Cultural heritage objects of regional significance
8 Revealed cultural heritage objects

UCH:
59 without any legal status (and 18 objects with unidentified status)
25 Revealed cultural heritage objects
1 Cultural heritage objects of regional significance.

Planned activities:

  • Filed studies in the area including multi beam echo-sounder and side scan survey.
  • Interaction with relevant stakeholders to receive reliable spatial data on MCH objects for database.
  • Delineation of the valuable area and comprehensive description of regional MCH assets.
  • Description of the potential UCH sites.

Expected results:

  • Reliable information on the location of the known and reported shipwrecks will be received and introduced in the database.
  • UCH ship wrecks and battle areas described.
  • Proposal on the formation of a single map of transboundary objects of a case.
EUSBSR

SUBMARINER Network for Blue Growth EEIG

Kärntener Str. 20
DE–10827 Berlin

Germany

+4930832141740

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.